What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is a form of natural medicine that aims to uncover the root cause of dis-ease, prevent its progression and improve long-term health and vitality. At Tolle Totum Therapies, we treat both acute and chronic conditions using a combination of scientific and traditional evidence to develop treatment plans that also offer maintenance for long-term health and longevity. We use a combination of herbal medicine, nutritional medicine, flower essences, dietary and lifestyle advice to suit the needs of each individual. We will work collaboratively alongside your GP or other health professional to deliver the best patient-centred care for you.
“At a time when modern technology, environmental pollution, poor diet, and stress play a significant role in the degradation of health, a Naturopath’s ability to apply natural methods of healing is of considerable importance.” (College of Naturopathic Medicine, UK)
Principles of Naturopathy
At Tolle Totum Therapies, we adhere closely to the basic principles of naturopathy, as encapsulated beautifully by Bastyr University. The underpinnings of naturopathic medical practice are found in the following seven principles.
The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae)
- Naturopathic medicine recognizes the body’s inherent ability to heal itself.
- Naturopathic physicians identify and remove obstacles to recovery to facilitate this healing ability in patients.
Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causam)
- The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness, rather than eliminate or merely suppress symptoms.
First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)
- Naturopathic medicine follows three principles to avoid harming the patient:
- Use methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects
- Avoid, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms
- Acknowledge and respect the individual’s healing process, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat illness
Doctor as Teacher (Docere)
- Naturopathic physicians educate the patient and encourage self-responsibility for health.
- They also acknowledge the therapeutic value inherent in the doctor-patient relationship.
Treat the Whole Person (Tolle Totum)
- Naturopathic physicians treat each individual by taking into account physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors.
- Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal spiritual path.
- Naturopathic physicians emphasize disease prevention, assessment of risk factors and hereditary susceptibility to disease and making appropriate interventions to prevent illness.
- Naturopathic medicine strives to create a healthy world in which humanity may thrive.
- Wellness follows the establishment and maintenance of optimum health and balance.
- Wellness is a state of being healthy, characterized by positive emotion, thought and action.
- Wellness is inherent in everyone, regardless of disease(s).
- If wellness is recognized and experienced by an individual, it will more quickly heal a given disease than direct treatment of the disease alone.
Bastyr University (2018)